Acting as both training camp and laboratory, it is a diverse, multidisciplinary program where unexpected collisions and obsessive attention to detail expose a rich seam of creative potential. Media Studies presents an opportunity to develop individual practice, where students hone their dexterity with established and progressive media, actively testing modes of production through focused acts of doing and making.
ANDERSON INGE & ANTONI MALINOWKSI
Wednesdays, 2 – 5pm
Inflected Space develops in-the-moment design thinking through continuous experimentation of spatial experience. Each session will focus on drawing, vocabularies of form, discussions, and the live production of one-to-one works.
With incessant transitions between 2D, 3D, and 4D studies, our digital-free sessions will actively develop your design ideas focused on the rich subtlety of space rather than objects. We will grapple with the richness to be had from the indefinite connections between tangible form and the experience of the architectural space. Students will gain confidence to negotiate and re-negotiate the void, the unknown that is at the centre of every design process that realises spatial experience from form decisions.
The course will offer a raw focus on fundamental, abstract aspects of form and space. Through the series of working sessions we will exercise line, tone, colour, texture, shape, space and rhythm. We will start with 2D studies, moving quickly to 3D studies and even 4D studies through the use of movement. The spatial and perceptual impact of these studies will be discussed and analysed throughout the sessions. These processes will clarify a vocabulary of form, and show how its use can enable the process of design.Your submitted work will include a high-res photograph resulting from your 2/3/2D constructs, plus a booklet documenting your explorations through the term.
Session 1: INTRODUCTION: Wednesday 9th January 2019
- Introduction - develop confidence for design thinking, in the moment. Focus on inflection & space. What we’re going to do.
- Walk & Draw drawing exercises: translating language to lines, space and shapes
- Using drawing from exercises to build a design vision
Session 2: TRANSFORMING 2D INTO 3D: Wednesday 16th January 2019
- Enlarging and abstracting to develop a work
- Working with tone - b/w contrasts, shades of grey ... transforming 2D into 3D
- Tone-alone and collage to draw space
- Exploring changes in texture, material and scale in wall constructions
- Use of photography and the view-finder to reframe
Session 3: TOOLING UP: Wednesday 23rd January 2019
- Introducing more tools: the box frame; multiple thumbnails; using a tone scale
- Drawing in situ at one-to-one scale; line and surface
- Transformations in 3D, using colour, tone and texture
Session 4: WORKING WITH PHOTOGRAPHY & PROJECTIONS: Wednesday 30th January 2019
- Pictorial space; dissolving form and surface with pattern.
- Clarifying intentions, without fixing outcome.
- Photography as transformation
- Hierarchy and micro-rhythms
- Working with the projections of the images further transformations in 2D (implied 3D)
Session 5: PERFORMANCE - MOVEMENT WITH SPACE: Wednesday 13th February 2019
- Active tutored working in the architectural context
- Supporting ambiguity; trying without knowing
- Extension of space: perceived and physical
- Interpretive performance by guest artist: movement and narrative
Session 6: PHOTOGRAPHY SESSION: Wednesday 20th February 2019
- Developing a final construct
- Experimentation and relativity
- Documenting the process and the work
Session 7: WORKING REVIEW SESSION: Wednesday 27th February 2019
- Live demonstration of spatial impact of the developed works, with professional dancer/choreographer
- Participatory review discussion using drawing as a review tool.
- Confirming individual course submissions.
- Extending our vocabulary of form
Session 8: MS JURY DAY: Wednesday 6th March 2019
- Shared review session across MS2 courses.