Acting as both training camp and laboratory, it is a diverse, multidisciplinary program where unexpected collisions and obsessive attention to detail expose a rich seam of creative potential. Media Studies presents an opportunity to develop individual practice, where students hone their dexterity with established and progressive media, actively testing modes of production through focused acts of doing and making.
TRANSLATION OF OBJECTS THROUGH DRAWING
Tuesdays, 2-5pm When you stare at an object for a long time and start describing it in great detail at some point the object becomes something else. This course explores the unfamiliarities of familiar objects by cutting, splicing, hacking and reassembling through drawing, physical modeling and collaging. Alternating between cutting, drawing and describing and playing with scales, the course introduces the ambiguity between forms of representation and of designing.
Session 1 and 2: DESCRIBING AN OBJECT BY READING ITS DETAILS: Tuesday 2nd October 2018
- Taking found objects apart by slicing along three intersecting coordinates (axes).
- Making a series of section drawings by focusing on details.
- Brief discussion about orthogonal drawing.
- Tools: hacksaw, band saw, jigsaw, knife, scissors, pencil and measuring instruments.
Session 3: RECOMPOSING THE OBJECT BY ASSEMBLING DETAIL SECTIONS: Tuesday 16th October 2018
- Making a big collage from section drawings.
- Extracting sections from the section in preparation for construction of models.
- Brief discussion about collage, assemblage and bricolage.
- Tools: knife, scissors, glue, tape, pencil and ruler.
Session 4 and 5: BUILDING FROM SECTION DRAWINGS: Tuesday 23rd October 2018
- Introduction to wood and metal workshop tools and machines.
- Making a series of models by translating detail collage sections.
- Tools: drill bench, band-saw, welder, hammer and hand tools.
Session 6 and 7: DRAWING BY PLAYING THE MODELS: Tuesday 13th November 2018
- Making a set of drawings from the model seen from multiple viewpoints, shifting time frames and stepping - scales. These sessions will explore spatial narratives informed by the materiality of the model through a combination of reverse scale drawing and photography.
Session 8: Session 8: MS JURY DAY: Tuesday 27th November 2018
- Presentation and discussion of work