Acting as both training camp and laboratory, it is a diverse, multidisciplinary program where unexpected collisions and obsessive attention to detail expose a rich seam of creative potential. Media Studies presents an opportunity to develop individual practice, where students hone their dexterity with established and progressive media, actively testing modes of production through focused acts of doing and making.
THE DRAWN MISTAKE
Our approach to drawing will be through the lens of a paradox: contradictions that coexist. We start looking into ideas of conscious composition: space and form, the figure/ground relationship, colour and materiality. Moving from conscious decision to unconscious, we will explore mark making itself: a point or a line, the trace left behind as evidence of human action, or the ‘mistake’ of the unconscious, sometimes referred to as automatic drawing or writing. Here there is a certain freedom from rules or inhibitions, generating unforeseen results. Splitting the mind and body, next we will explore ideas of the body fragmented, or altered in some way. This can include blind drawing, drawing though the use of an apparatus, drawing with an unlikely body part. The ideas and skills learned will then be applied to individual projects. Each student will find a subject or focus around which to create his or her own large drawing utilizing the two contradictory fundamentals, conscious intent and unintentional mistake, order and chaos.
Session 1: AN INTRODUCTION TO THE COURSE: THE FIREWORK MANIFESTO, BIG PAPER, CONTROL AND CHAOS: Tuesday 2nd October 2018
- Talking about the Grid: all those nice rules and boundaries order and control
- We will look at examples of artworks and discuss the idea of composition and concept, especially the figure/ground relationship. Then you get to play with blocks.
- The significance of different stuff and the importance of intent in one’s choice of stuff… still very much an investigation in conscious decision-making.
Session 3: THE LINE: Tuesday 16th October 2018
- The mark as an action, an extension of the body.
- We move away from control to work with different materials and the marks they make. Accidents and mistakes are all encouraged.
Session 4: CONSTRAINING THE BODY: Tuesday 23rd October 2018
- Blind drawing, drawing with different body parts, drawing with the use of an apparatus.
- Mark-making as performance: to create the trace of an event or presence.
Session 5: BRINGING IN THE PERSONAL: Tuesday 6th November 2018
- Start thinking about references and ideas for individual final project.
- We will look at examples and discuss and test out ideas.
Session 6: REFINING AND CREATING THE FINAL PROJECT: Tuesday 13th November 2018
- It will be both large and small, logical and illogical, conceptual and arbitrary.
Session 7: FINALISING AND PRESENTING THE PROJECTS: Tuesday 20th November 2018
- We will discuss in class and be generally wowed by excellence.
Session 8: MS JURY DAY: Tuesday 27th November 2018
- Presentation and discussion