Acting as both training camp and laboratory, it is a diverse, multidisciplinary program where unexpected collisions and obsessive attention to detail expose a rich seam of creative potential. Media Studies presents an opportunity to develop individual practice, where students hone their dexterity with established and progressive media, actively testing modes of production through focused acts of doing and making.
PROJECTION AND SPECULATION
Measured architectural drawings are the means by which we can make a series of speculative and exploratory steps that eventually lead to the physical construction of propositions. The course will build your knowledge of hand-drawn 2D and 3D orthographic projection and the importance of precision as a tool for the imagination. Redrawing and analysis of an existing building precedent - an iconic house - through a set of plans, sections and diagrams will allow a speculation and reinterpretation based on the principles learned. A new set of drawings that transforms the original will be developed in 2d and 3d leading to a model. The drawings should convey your own concepts and interests that you extracted and progressed from the original study.
Introductory Exercise: The journey begins with a very simple object on the first day – a box. It will be drawn orthogonally and in 3 dimensions; plan, elevation, section, oblique, axonometric, isometric. These drawings will become the means to speculate and transform with increasing complexity – changes of scale, stretching folding and cutting, mass, voids, multiples, re-combinations etc. You will select a work of architecture and from that you will redraw as the basis for a new set of projective / speculative drawings.
Precedent Study: A ‘precedent study’ is an analysis of an existing work of architecture from which we learn about a building. Your architectural precedent will become the basis of a set of drawings – scale plans sections and 3d - that will allow you to understand the building and the decisions that were made to create the spaces and its atmospheres. The plans and sections carry the architectural ‘parti’ of the building – the ‘DNA’ which is imprinted in plans and sections revealing the structure, spatial and organizational strategy and spirit. You will use your projective drawings to speculate, explore and transform.
Session 1: INTRODUCTORY POWER-POINT TALK: Tuesday 2nd October 2018
- Introductory drawing systems exercise. Intro - to precedent buildings.
- Discussions and drawing of the precedent studies – discovering architectural ‘parti’ through architectural drawings and diagrams ; Plan / Section / Elevation / 3d oblique, axonometric, isometric. Tutorials.
Session 2: PRECEDENT STUDIES DRAWING: Tuesday 9th October 2018
- Selected precedents to be drawn in Plan / Section / Elevation - as basis to create parti diagrams in 2d and 3d. - Tutorials.
Session 3: PRECEDENT STUDIES, ARCHITECTURAL 'PARTI': Tuesday 16th October 2018
- Studio work - Continuation of plans, sections elevations of precedent. Perspective drawing lesson. Morphing, distortion and transformation towards a new building based on precedent. Tutorials.
Session 5: STUDIO WORKS: Tuesday 6th November 2018
- Transformation drawings continued - plans, sections, elevations, 3d orthographic and perspective drawing utilised to represent the new concepts. Tutorials and Model making lesson.
Session 6: STUDIO WORKS: Tuesday 13th November 2018
- Studio work - Finalising the drawing, tutorials.
Session 7 PIN-UP: Tuesday 20th November 2018
- Finalising the drawings / images, presentation and pin-up discussion.
Session 8: MS JURY DAY: Tuesday 27th November 2018
- Presentation and discussion.