Acting as both training camp and laboratory, it is a diverse, multidisciplinary program where unexpected collisions and obsessive attention to detail expose a rich seam of creative potential. Media Studies presents an opportunity to develop individual practice, where students hone their dexterity with established and progressive media, actively testing modes of production through focused acts of doing and making.
MATERIALITY OF COLOUR
This course focuses on the potential of subtractive colour in creating/manipulating space. Students are encouraged to create their own distinctive notational system that is sensitive to space, time, light and the characteristics of materials. Students will be introduced to the sensibility and materiality of pure pigments with the focus on colour as matter, teaching how to make paint from pigments and to apply it and test it on different surfaces. In a series of workshops students will develop a 3D construct based on the analysis of colour and tone in relation to the dynamics of space and light.
Session 1: Tuesday 2nd October 2018
- Slide lecture – Colour and Space
- Colour fundamentals : discussion about different possibilities of working with colour – students own experience, cultural conditioning and traditions.
Session 2: Tuesday 9th October 2018
- Visit to Walmer Yard – sketching colour interactions in architecture
- Looking at the interactions of colour / light / space
- Learning how to capture the different modes of colour / space perception : static versus peripatetic, centred versus peripheral etc.
Session 3: Tuesday 16th October 2018
- Short talk about pigments, binders and paints
- Students learn how to make paint from pigments and also other methods of working with pigments, paints or inks.
- Beginning work on colour interaction in 2D ( collages )
- Looking at Joseph Albers “Colour Interactions” - short discussion
Session 4: Tuesday 23rd October 2018
- Finishing the 2D collages
- Work begins on the translation of colour interactions from 2D to 3D
- Beginning work on the proposals for the 3D colour constructs
Session 5:Tuesday 6th November 2018
- Looking at the 3D colour constructs proposals
- Looking into the possibilities of colour / light interactions
- Gathering the needed materials
- The work begins on the final 3D colour constructs
Session 6: Tuesday 13th November 2018
- Practical work continues
- We shall talk and discuss various colour related topics as the work develops.
Session 7: Tuesday 20th November 2018
-Continuing the work on the individual colour constructs
-Working with colour / light interactions
Session 8: MS JURY DAY: Tuesday 27th November 2018
- Presentation and discussion
-Final course submission